5-Minute Self-Care in a Jamu Drink for 25 Cents
Better self-care is high on my list of new year resolutions. As a mother of 3 little kids, I have also become an ULTRA-pragmatist. Unless something is quick and easy (and financially reasonable), I know I won't do it on a consistent basis, no matter how good it is for me. In other words, acts of self-care have to fit into YOUR life. Committing to one Jamu drink a day has long been one of my self-care goals. After playing around with various Jamu recipes, I'd like to share with you my 5-minute version of Kunyit Asem (a Jamu drink made with Turmeric and Tamarind) that is super easy to make but packs a punch.
This drink is a wonderful way to start the day or to calm down before you go to bed, or whenever you have a free 5-minute window in between. Kunyit Asem has a long tradition in Indonesian medicine to treat and prevent a whole list of ailments. Turmeric has potent anti-inflammatory properties that help with joint pain, stomach issues, diabetes and even depression, while Tamarind is said to help with cold & flu symptoms, nausea and blood sugar balance.
Also: While I think it's awesome that when you are in a hurry, you can now just buy Jamu-like drinks at the health food store or juice bar, they are not exactly cheap. This 5-minute Kunyit Asem will cost you about 25 cents per serving. So here it goes:
- Re-usable tea bag or coffee filter
- Grater (e.g. cheese or garlic grater; a zester would be too fine)
- Half a Knob of Fresh Turmeric
- Quarter Knob of Fresh Ginger (Optional. Technically not part of Kunyit Asem, but yummy nontheless)
- Tamarind Paste
- Dash of fresh black pepper (makes the active in Turmeric more bio-available!)
- Raw Honey to taste
- Bring a cup of water to boil (takes about 3 minutes) and put reusable filter/ tea bag over a mug.
- In the meantime, wash the Turmeric and Ginger and grate it straight into the filter/ tea bag. Don't worry about peeling the Turmeric and Ginger if you wash it's organic and you wash it thoroughly.
- Pour boiling water into the mug. Steep for about 1 minute.
- Remove filter and mix in half a table spoon of Tamarind Paste into the tea. Add a dash of black pepper and raw Honey to taste.
Notes on Ingredients and Tools:
- Reusable Coffee Filter: I use Primula Single Service Coffee Brew Buddy, which is sold for $6.75 at Amazon.
- Grater: I use OXO Good Grips Coarse Grater, which is sold for $11.99 at Amazon.
- Fresh Organic Turmeric is sold on Amazon for $8.65/ lb. Wholefoods sells if for $7.99 My Indian grocery store sells it for $6.99/ lb.
- Fresh Ginger is usually about $4.99/ lb at a regular grocery store.
- Tamarind Paste: I use SWAD Tamarind Concentrate which cost $5.49 for a 14 oz jar at Wholefoods, $3.99 at my Indian grocery store (52 half-tablespoon servings per jar) at the healthfood store.
- You can read more information on the ingredients' health benefits, click: Turmeric, Ginger and Tamarind)